Wycombe High School is the lead school in the National Maths and Physics SCITT and will be co-ordinating the recruitment process with our hub schools based in High Wycombe, London and Bolton. Each of our partner hub schools will play a role in helping to select candidates.
In your application, you need to clearly demonstrate how you meet our person specification, as detailed in the ‘Entry Requirements’, and ‘What we are looking for’ sections on UCAS. The NMAPS recruitment process will take a minimum of half a day and is a rigorous and thorough process designed to match the best candidates appropriately to the places available.
The selection process will be led by NMAPS staff and a subject knowledge expert from the school offering the training place and will comprise:
- A ten-minute presentation delivered by the applicant (the invitation to interview letter will ask the applicant to present their ideas for overcoming a common misconception or difficult concept in their subject to teach) to determine their ability to engage with young people, their enthusiasm for their subject and/or age range they wish to teach and their verbal communication skills. This will be followed by a short conversation on the content of the applicant’s presentation.
- A written subject knowledge task that will determine the depth of subject knowledge as well as their ability to sequence ideas appropriately and to write clearly and accurately. This particular task will be assessed by the Subject leader.
- An interview to determine the applicant’s aptitude for teaching in terms of intellectual and academic capabilities and the personal qualities, values and ethics needed to work in a school setting. The interview will also explore the applicant’s resilience, time-management and organisational skills.
- A subject knowledge conversation, led by the relevant Subject leader, to ascertain the applicant’s potential to meet Teachers’ Standard 3 by the end of their training.
- A group task to determine the applicant’s ability to think analytically, share ideas and work within a team.
- A short teaching activity to establish the applicant’s ability to engage and communicate with young people.
If you are successful at interview, a conditional offer of a place will be made. The conditions will include providing proof that you have met the eligibility conditions for Initial Teacher Training, including verification of your qualifications, passing your Skills Tests, a criminal record check (DBS) and an occupational health assessment. Further conditions may be discussed with you at interview, including ensuring you have sufficient classroom experience.
If you accept the offer of a place, you will be required to complete a Needs Audit and attend a feedback and induction session with the NMAP SCITT to prepare you for your training year.