Wycombe High School is the lead school of the National Mathematics and Physics SCITT and will be co-ordinating the recruitment process with our hub schools based in Bolton, Guildford, High Wycombe, North and South London and Warwick. Each of our partner hub schools will play a role in helping to select candidates.
In your application, you need to clearly demonstrate how you meet our person specification, as detailed in the ‘Entry Requirements’, and ‘What we are looking for’ sections on UCAS. The NMAPS recruitment process will take a minimum of half a day and is a rigorous and thorough process designed to match the best candidates appropriately to the places available.
The selection process will be led by NMAPS staff and a subject knowledge expert from the school offering the training place and will comprise:
- A 30 minute observed teaching activity to establish the applicant’s ability to engage and communicate with young people.
- A 10 minute presentation delivered by the applicant, followed by a short conversation on the content of the applicant’s presentation.
- A 30 minute written subject knowledge task to determine the depth of subject knowledge.
- A 20 minute written communication task.
- A 45 minute interview to determine the applicant’s aptitude for teaching in terms of intellectual and academic capabilities and the personal qualities, values and ethics needed to work in a school setting.
If you are successful at interview, a conditional offer of a place will be made. The conditions will include providing proof that you have met the eligibility conditions for Initial Teacher Training, including verification of your qualifications, passing your Skills Tests, a criminal record check (DBS) and an occupational health assessment. Further conditions may be discussed with you at interview.