Frequently Asked Questions

What is ITT?
ITT stands for ‘Initial Teacher Training’ – you may also hear it called ‘Initial Teacher Education’ or ITE.  It is the name for the training that you must undertake to become a qualified teacher in state-maintained schools in England.

What is a SCITT?
SCITT stands for ‘School Centred Initial Teacher Training’.  A SCITT is a training provider, like a university.  On a SCITT training programme you will work towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by spending the majority of your time in placement schools.  The training programme is run by a school or group of schools, and is usually taught by experienced, practising teachers.  Most SCITTs work in close partnership with a university to enable trainee teachers to gain a PGCE alongside working towards QTS.

How does the SCITT route compare to the university route?
SCITTs have a taught programme just like a university, but a SCITT programme offers trainees a lot more in-school experience.  SCITT trainees are placed within a school throughout their training year, learning ‘on the job’ in classrooms every week.  Trainees come together for core training one day a week, like at university, but our subject specialist SCITT programme is taught by practising classroom teachers and school leaders, who are experts in their fields.

Trainees spend time in at least two different schools across their training year, in a main and second placement school, as well as gaining experience in other types of schools.

Our courses are flexible and responsive, timetables can be altered to include extra sessions and programmes can be changed very quickly, so are bespoke to each cohort.  Trainees are expected to teach lessons in their first week and you will build up contact time at a pace to suit you, as you become more confident across the year.

The qualifications on both routes are exactly the same.  QTS is recommended wherever you train, and SCITTs also offer a PGCE as part of their programme, accredited by a partner university – our PGCE is accredited through the University of Buckingham.

All trainees have a school-based mentor who meets with them every week.  SCITT staff also pay you regular visits giving you lots of support.

Fees and funding for non-salaried trainees are identical for universities and SCITTs.

What qualifications do I need?
Government requirements – a UK Bachelor (Honours) degree or overseas equivalent, and a grade C/4 in both Mathematics and English Language GCSE or overseas equivalent.
Our requirements – ideally your degree will be in the subject you wish to teach, however we accept applicants with degrees in unrelated subjects if they have a strong A level in the subject.  These applicants will be required to undertake some subject knowledge enhancement training prior to the course starting.

What do I need to do if my qualifications are from outside the UK?
If your qualifications are not from the UK, you will need to obtain a Statement of Comparability from UK ENIC (formerly UK NARIC) for those that are required.  If you sign up for the DfE’s Get Into Teaching service, you can access one-to-one support from one of their advisors.  They will provide you with a basic comparison for your qualifications that you can use for your application; once you have submitted your application on DfE Apply, they will then pay for the formal certificate for you.  If your degree is not in the subject that you are applying for, you will need to ensure that A Level equivalency for the subject you are applying for is also included in your Statement of Comparability.

Can you sponsor my student visa?
We cannot sponsor student visas.  The NMAP SCITT is not a licensed student sponsor so all applicants must be British or Irish citizens, or already have the right to study in England.  This may include Indefinite Leave to Remain, Settled Status or Pre-Settled Status.

Do you offer salaried places?
No, all our courses are non-salaried, but if you are eligible you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and may also be entitled to a government bursary or scholarship.

How do I apply for funding?
We advise all applicants to apply to Student Finance England (SFE) as soon as possible, as they will determine what funding you may be eligible for.  Our bursaries and scholarships are paid via the Student Loans Company so all trainees must register with SFE even if they do not wish to apply for a loan.

Is there additional support for career changers?
Now Teach is a charity that works alongside teacher training providers, focusing on shortage subjects, including Mathematics and Physics.  They support career changers who have significant career experience, in management and leadership positions, to redeploy their knowledge, skills and experience in the classroom.  They offer coaching and training sessions and put you in touch with a professional network of like-minded individuals, which will help to accelerate your progress in your new teaching career.  You can find out more at Now Teach
Transition to Teach is funded by the DfE and focuses on shortage subjects, including Maths and Physics.  They support career changers to train in the north of England of the East Midlands for two years – during their Initial Teacher Training (ITT) year and in their first year as an Early Career Teacher (ECT).  To find out more visit Transition to Teach

How does the full-time SCITT programme work?
Trainees are in their main placement school from the first day of term.  You will spend four days a week in your placement school, and the fifth day at your regional Hub School where you will receive training in professional and pedagogical studies, tailored to your particular subject.  Although you will spend most of the year in your main placement school, you will have a six-week placement in a contrasting school, usually in the first or second half of the spring term.  You will also spend two days placed in a primary school, and have short placements with alternative providers (Special School, Pupil Referral Unit) to ensure you gain a broad experience of the education system.  In addition, you will have three National Training Days and an end of course graduation celebration.

How does this differ for part-time training?
The part-time programme follows the full-time programme in that trainees start in their placement school right away and attend the weekly training day at the local Hub School, but you will only be in your placement school for two days a week.  In the second year of the course, you will move to a different placement school, so will not be required to have a six-week contrasting placement and will not have to attend the weekly Hub training day.  You will continue to spend two days a week in your new placement school, and will also be working on your PGCE assignments during the second year.

What support will I receive in school?
Every trainee will have their own dedicated mentor who they will be expected to meet with for one hour-long meeting each week.  Many schools also have dedicated ITT Leads who will be on hand to offer support during your training year.

Do I need to find my own school placements?
We have relationships with a wide array of schools across our regional Hub areas, and Hub Leaders who will work with you to place you in a school that is a suitable match to give you the best experience as a trainee.  If you have an existing relationship with a school that you would like to be placed at, and the school is within a reasonable distance of one of our Hub schools, we are happy to approach them to see if we can work together.

How do I apply?
All applications for teacher training must be made on the government DfE Apply website, where you can choose up to three providers to apply to.  Applications will not be seen by providers until your application is complete and both refences have been submitted.

Do I need to have school experience before I apply?
No, this is no longer a government requirement, but you may find it helpful to spend some time in a school if you can, to help you understand how schools operate and the role of a teacher.

Who should I ask for references?
At least one reference should be from your current or most recent employer if you have not been working recently; it should be from someone who lines manages you and from their work email address, not a personal one.

In line with ‘Safer Recruitment in Education’ guidance, we do not accept references from personal emails.  In some circumstances where this is unavoidable, such references will be followed up for verification, or additional refences may be requested instead.  If you are unsure who to ask, please contact us before submitting your application and we can advise you.