From September 2020 we are offering our courses on a part-time basis (subject to local Hub availability), over two academic years.
The programme runs from September to June, with attendance consisting of:
- two full days/week in Placement School 1 in the first year, plus one full day in training with NMAPS
- two full days/week in Placement School 2 in the second year
Course intensity: 50% in year 1 and 50% in year 2
Year One – Placement School 1
- Induction – three days in the last week of August
- Placement School 1 – all inset days in September and any staff training days that fall on the agreed placement days
- Placement School 1 – two full days per week September – June
- Placement School 1 – 50% of all after school events (staff CPD, staff meetings, open evenings, parents’ evenings etc)
- All NMAP SCITT training days, including termly national training days.
Year Two – Placement School 2
- Placement School 2 – all inset days in September and any staff training days that fall on the agreed placement days
- Placement School 2 – two full days per week September – June
- Placement School 2 – 50% of all after school events (staff CPD, staff meetings, open evenings, parents’ evenings etc)
- PGCE Course – three PGCE assignments through the University of Buckingham. Attendance at one training session in the Autumn term related to the PGCE.
- Celebration event at the end of the programme in June.
- Weekly NMAP SCITT training days
A Unique Familiarisation Programme
The NMAPS teacher training courses start with a summer induction for all trainees to attend. This is normally a three-day residential event, but due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions this may be subject to change. We will update details nearer the time. Whether the induction is held face-to-face, online or blended, it will give you the chance to meet your peers and have an in-depth introduction to what the course entails.
Two days’ teaching…..
High Quality School Placements
NMAPS teacher training courses run across carefully selected schools in both the state and independent sector. Placement schools all have robust Mathematics and Physics departments so you can be sure you are in the best hands. You will have placements in two contrasting schools – the first in Year 1 and the second in Year 2. NMAPS aims to confirm your first placement school with you before you accept a training place with us.
A two-day primary school placement will complement your understanding of a child’s school journey. Your experience will be further broadened through short placements at a Special School and a Pupil Referral Unit.
…..for every day of theory
During Year One you will spend one day per week in your Hub school or at a national training session, taught by experienced teachers. Our specialist programme allows you the opportunity to explore the pedagogy (the art) of teaching, tailored to your particular subject. The aim is to teach you strategies to make you more effective in the classroom. You can attend these again in Year 2 if you choose to.
14.5 days of subject knowledge and pedagogical study + 14.5 days of professional studies
27 days are Hub school led training sessions + 2 days are National Training days