The National Mathematics and Physics SCITT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all central and partnership staff, trainees, external providers and other stakeholders to share this commitment.
‘Children and young people’ includes everyone under the age of 18.
NMAP SCITT Trainees, staff and stakeholders have a responsibility to ensure they adhere to the three main elements of Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy:
- Prevention through the creation of a positive school atmosphere and the teaching and pastoral support offered to pupils
- Protection by following agreed procedures and ensuring all staff are trained and supported to respond appropriately and sensitively to child protection concerns
- Support to pupils who may have been abused.
Appointment to train with the NMAP SCITT will be subject to the following pre-employment checks:
- Academic qualifications
- References and work/study history
- Right to work/study in the UK
- Enhanced DBS check including Children’s Barred List
- Prohibition from Teaching
- Overseas Police Certificate of Good Conduct (if relevant)
- Teachers Barred List
- Occupational Health Check
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check references
- A Childcare Disqualification and Disqualification by Association Declaration (where applicable).
A start date for successful applicants will not be confirmed until clearance from all the above checks has been obtained. Please note that the DBS check will reveal all convictions, reprimands, cautions and bind overs even if considered spent within the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. There is a DBS Code of Practice which governs this process. A copy of the Code of Practice is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-code-of-practice.