NMAPS selection process is through Wycombe High School, the lead school of the National Mathematics and Physics SCITT. Our hub schools also take part in selecting candidates for their hub.
In your application, you need to clearly demonstrate how you meet our entry criteria. You will find further information in other sections: ‘What we are looking for’.
The selection process takes a minimum of half a day. It is a rigorous process, designed to select the best candidates.
The selection process will be led by NMAPS staff with a subject knowledge expert from the hub school. The format of the selection process is as follows:
- You will deliver a 30 minute lesson activity to demonstrate your ability to engage and communicate with young people.
- You will give a short 10 minute presentation.
- a 30 minute written subject knowledge task.
- a 20 minute written communication task to assess your level of English.
- a 45 minute interview to assesses your intellectual, academic capabilities and your personal qualities, values and ethics.
At the end of the selection process, the panel will decide on your suitability for training. You will be contacted with the outcome the next day. Successful candidates will be made an offer which will normally include details of their main school placement.
If you are successful, your offer will be conditional on you meeting the eligibility criteria. This includes verification of your qualifications, passing your Skills Tests, a criminal record check (DBS) and an occupational health assessment. Further conditions may be discussed with you at interview.