Qualities and Experience
At the NMAP SCITT, first and foremost we are looking for ambitious trainee teachers who are passionate and enthusiastic about their subject, and who have the desire to share their passion with young people of all abilities and make a real difference to pupils’ lives.
You will also;
- Demonstrate sound Mathematics or Physics subject knowledge
- Be committed and highly motivated
- Show that you are reflective and emotionally intelligent
- Demonstrate both resilience and confidence
- Demonstrate fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Show an understanding of the role of the teacher.
School experience is not required, but can be helpful in order for applicants to decide whether teaching is the right career path for them. We strongly recommend undertaking some experience with young people in the age group you wish to train for, if you are able. Such experience need not necessarily be paid work, but could include for example helping with a sports team, a drama group or a youth club.
And some formalities too….
- You must have an honours degree from a UK higher education institute, normally at 2:2 or above, or equivalent qualification. This will ideally be in or closely related to* the subject that you want to teach
- You must have achieved a standard equivalent to a GCSE Grade C/4 or above in English and Mathematics
- Successful candidates will undergo an Enhanced DBS Check, other relevant safeguarding checks and an occupational health assessment prior to beginning the course.
*If your degree is in an unrelated subject, we will consider you if you have an A Level at Grade C or above or equivalent qualification in the relevant subject, or relevant professional knowledge and experience in the subject. We may require such candidates to undertake some subject knowledge improvement work to bring their subject knowledge up to the required standard.