Qualities and Experience
At NMAPS what we look for is ambitious trainee teachers who are passionate and enthusiastic about their subject who have the desire to share their passion with young people of all abilities.
- You can demonstrate sound Mathematics or Physics subject knowledge
- You have an enthusiasm for your subject
- You are reflective and emotional intelligent
- You can demonstrate both resilience and confidence
- You can demonstrate fluency in both written and spoken English.
We look for applicants who demonstrate this through meaningful experience of working with young people in the age group they wish to train for. Such experience need not necessarily be paid work, but could include for example helping with a sports team, a drama group or a youth club.
School experience is not required, but can be helpful in order for applicants to decide whether teaching is the right career path for them.
And some formalities too….
- An honours degree, normally at 2:2 or above, and ideally in or closely related to* the subject that you want to teach.
- A standard equivalent to a GCSE Grade C/4 or above in English and Mathematics
- Successful candidates will have to undergo an Enhanced DBS check and other relevant safeguarding checks, and an occupational health assessment.
*If your degree is in an unrelated subject, we will consider you if you have a good A Level in the relevant subject or relevant professional knowledge in the subject. We may require such candidates to undertake some subject knowledge improvement work to bring their subject knowledge up to the required standard.